“Alex brings enthusiasm, optimism and patience to any project. She is an amazing listener who is able to identify what is said and not said. Her reflective, community centred approach allows teaching staff to develop their own answers, giving a real sense of ownership.
Working with Alex during the last 5 years I have developed more creative approaches to teaching. She has helped me recognise creativity in myself and others. This has developed the engagement of children in my class and opened up a wider range of opportunities for them. It has also allowed children who are not so academic to excel in other areas and be recognised for this. The result has been improved self-esteem and confidence in adults and children.”
Alex has extensive experience as an arts project manager working with cultural organizations, in public and community settings and in education. She frequently works in partnership and places the needs and success criteria of partners at the centre of the planning and delivery process.
Key areas of expertise include projects and event management, partnership working, and communication.
Recent examples of work include:
Heritage and Community Engagement Officer, Peace Hospice Care
During 2016, Alex produced an interactive heritage exhibition, mobile displays and online archive for a Heritage Lottery Funded Oral History project with Peace Hospice Care. This role also included audience engagement through the coordination and delivery of workshops and events.
Co-Director and Co-Founder, HertsCreation C.I.C, October 2012 – to present
HertsCreation is a community interest company and partnership between co-directors Martin Heaney and Alex McIntyre. Since its formation, HertsCreation has been actively engaged in projects in Hertfordshire that benefit the wider community working with arts, cultural and heritage organizations as well as community groups and schools.
- Project management and co-delivery of Young Cultural Ambassador Programme, Hertfordshire 2013-2015 on behalf of Royal Opera House Bridge included recruitment of young people and schools, creating an annual programme of delivery, mentoring and training, managing relationships with key stakeholders and partner organisations.
- Project management of creative learning programmes including:
- Woolenwick Infants and Nursery school Creative Learning projects, 2012-16
- Bridge Road Children’s Centre staff training project, 2013-14
- Design and delivery of bespoke training and insets including
- Hatfield Community School whole school creative inset September, 2014
- Launch of Early Years Learning Hub with The Wroxham TLA, 2014
Arts Projects Officer, Arts and Heritage, Brent Council December 2012 – July 2014
- Development and delivery of Brent Dance Month 2013 and 2014 including programming and marketing all events and workshops; venue liaison and risk assessment
- Assisting with planning, delivery and marketing of Arts and Culture programme to animate new Civic Centre, Wembley with Libraries, Arts and Heritage including Civic Centre Grand Opening
- Detailed proposals for events including timelines, information from suppliers and staffing arrangements across departments
- Support and advice to local artists and arts organisations
- Design of communications strategy, event management checklists, public exhibition space planning and legal documents
Artsmark Adviser,A New Direction, January – May 2012 and January – May 2014
- Arts Consultant and trainer advising schools who are applying for Artsmark.
- Delivery of creative training workshops.
Creative Project Manager,Hertfordshire Music Services, September 2011-March 2012
Managing creative learning projects in schools
Creative Agent,Royal Opera House Creative Partnerships, June 2009 – July 2011
Developing partnerships and collaboration between Creative professionals and schools